Research Director, Characterisation (CSIRO Mineral Resources)
Research Director, Characterisation (CSIRO Mineral Resources)
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Drive the vision, strategy and direction of resource characterisation in the minerals value chain
- Engage with collaboration partners, industry, government and across the business to advance world-class science delivery
- Join the CSIRO Mineral Resources Executive team
The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) is one of the world’s largest and most successful publicly funded research and development organisations that delivers world-class science and outcome-focused research that generates economic, environmental, and social benefits for Australia in a global context.
CSIRO Mineral Resources (CMR) is one of the largest minerals research and development groups globally, with a proud track record in delivering innovation and solutions across the mineral resources value chain. We thrive on innovation harnessed by the diversity of the minds and lived experiences of our team and apply our expert knowledge and specialised research to provide innovation that solves the complex problems faced by minerals companies, mining equipment, technology, and services (METS) companies, government, and other industry stakeholders.
The Characterisation Program is one of 6 research programs in CMR. The program provides robust chemical and mineral characterisation data, world?class technologies and expertise to underpin CSIRO Mineral Resources research delivery across the value chain.
As the Research Director, you will define the vision, strategy and direction for the Characterisation program to deliver world-class science. You will be a collaborative leader who is responsible for establishing and maintaining strong links with industry partners and government, while building and inspiring dynamic and innovative research teams to deliver world-class science.
Your duties will include:
- Impact Science Leadership
- Through demonstrated deep knowledge of resource characterisation and/or analysis methodologies related to the minerals value chain and provision of strategic and science leadership that results in world class research and tangible industry outcomes.
- Produce high quality scientific and/or engineering papers suitable for publication in quality journals and for presentation at national and international conferences.
- Drive development of long term planning for scientific infrastructure.
- Capability Leadership:
- Lead significant research projects and provide guidance to junior colleagues.
- Engagement and Partnership:
- Develop deeper and more effective national/international partnerships; Lead and support engagement within the mining and METS sectors, the research community and with cross-CSIRO initiatives, notably the Labs of the Future and Digital Transformation;
- Develop and maintain national and international research collaborations, scientific publications, and professional networks; and identify opportunities for future collaboration.
- Resource Leadership: lead and manage financials, resources, people infrastructure and other assets; ensure best practice governance and management of commercial activities and intellectual property; and ensure Program delivers against milestones and quality standards.
- Other duties as directed
Location: Kensington, Perth or Clayton, Melbourne considered
Salary: Attractive salary package offered
Tenure: 3 year specified term
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD and/or equivalent research and/or industry experience in a relevant discipline area, combined with significant research leadership experience
- Established reputation and credibility in the field of characterisation and/or analysis related to the minerals value chain.
- Recognition as an experienced leader in the delivery of applied research to the mining value chain.
- The ability to lead a multi-disciplinary, geographically dispersed research team, to build innovation culture and to foster best practice in diversity and inclusion to deliver impact.
- Strong track record of business development and strategic relationship management for applied research activity.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in successfully initiating and effectively managing large research, development or demonstration projects and with collaborators.
- Deep knowledge and track record of at least one area of specialisation within the broad field of characterisation and analysis.
- Experience in the role of digital / data science to disrupt the minerals sector and research facilities.
- Track record of delivering scientific infrastructure projects.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens, New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents and international candidates.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
31 August 2022, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 31 Aug 2022
- Attractive salary package offered
- Work Type:
- Full Time