Senior Research Engineer - Mechanical/Cryogenics - [Archived Advertisement]
Senior Research Engineer - Mechanical/Cryogenics
- Design and develop mechanical and cryocooler modules of a sensor system
- Work with world-leading researchers developing advanced magnetometry
- Diverse and inclusive culture. Flexible work arrangements!
CSIRO’s Manufacturing Business Unit combines multi-disciplinary scientific and engineering capability and uses world-class infrastructure to partner with industry in the development of innovative products and processes that allow Australian manufacturers to be globally competitive and environmentally sustainable.
CSIRO’s Applied Physics Group is a diverse team of scientists, engineers and research staff which develops devices and engineered systems for the benefit industrial partners including in aerospace, space, defence, renewable energy, telecommunications, minerals and mining, and transportation. In particular, quantum devices is an area for significant expansion and we are seeking to fill a number of exciting new roles across the group.
CSIRO has established a world-leading scientific capability in High Temperature Superconducting electronic devices, circuits and sensors to develop advanced magnetometry and are seeking an experienced Senior Research Engineer to join the team. As the successful candidate, you will develop the mechanical and cryocooler modules of the sensor system to achieve challenging performance targets in ruggedness, reliability and noise/vibration suppression.
This role is offered on a full-time, part-time (minimum 0.8 FTE) or job share basis (if circumstances permit).
Your duties will include:
- Designing and developing cryocooler-based cryogenic instruments and high vacuum systems for advanced superconducting sensors/detectors for commercial and research projects.
- Improving cryocooler-based systems by applying thermodynamic principles, heat transfer modelling and thermal properties of materials.
- Designing and developing (in collaboration with scientists, software engineers and electronic engineers) the mechanical supports, enclosures and fixtures for laboratory and field-based prototypes.
- Supporting other senior scientists by providing specialist advice to assist superconducting electronic device characterization using cryocoolers for the projects listed above.
- Designing, constructing, operating and troubleshooting a range of vacuum systems including small and large scale UHV systems and thin film deposition systems for a range of projects.
Location: Sydney (Lindfield) NSW
Salary: AU$115k – AU$135k (pro-rata for part-time) plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience in a relevant field such as mechanical engineering or cryogenics.
- Design skills using CAD-based package.
- Demonstrated systems design skills along with mechanical background.
- Knowledge and demonstrated usage of thermodynamic principles, including heat transfer modelling and thermal properties of materials.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team.
- The ability to undertake original, creative and innovative research by generating and pursuing novel ideas and solutions to scientific research problems.
- High level of written and oral communication skills.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be eligible for this position, must be an Australian citizen and will be required to obtain and maintain a security clearance at Negative Vetting Level 2.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
28 September 2021, 11:00 pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 28 Sep 2021
- NSW - Lindfield
- AU$115k – AU$135k (pro-rata for part-time) plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time