- Are you passionate about a career in science?
- Want to access CSIRO's world-class facilities and staff?
- Apply for a CSIRO PhD Scholarship now!
CSIRO’s Postgraduate Scholarship Program provides enhanced opportunities in science and engineering for outstanding graduates enrolling each year at Australian tertiary institutions as full-time postgraduates for research leading to the award of a PhD. Scholarships are being offered in 53 priority research areas for funding commencing in 2019.
Top up Postgraduate Scholarships are available to postgraduate students who have gained (or expect to gain), first class honours or equivalent in relevant research areas. Students must also expect to receive a Research Training Program (RTP) scholarship or an equivalent scholarship commencing in the year of the scholarship. Joint supervision of students by a university and a CSIRO supervisor is required and such joint supervisory arrangements must be consistent with the Higher Degree by Research Regulations of the host university. The primary supervisor may be either the university or CSIRO supervisor.
Recipients of CSIRO Postgraduate Studentships are generally required to be Australian citizens or have permanent residency status. However, in fields in which there is a national skill shortage, studentships may be awarded to overseas candidates provided they are prepared to seek permanent residency as soon as possible within Australian Government policy guidelines. International students must be able to show evidence of admission to an Australian university, as well as evidence that either their living costs or international student tuition fees are being covered by another scholarship or from private funds.
Working closely with industry partners, CSIRO Mineral Resources deliver breakthrough innovation to create a more productive, sustainable and globally competitive mineral resources industry for the benefit of Australia and the world. For more information please see our website at Mineral Resources.
Research areas: for details of research areas please see document CSIRO Postgraduate Scholarships - Mineral Resources (will link to Excel document)
Location: Various locations across Australia
Scholarship: Top-up scholarship of AU$7,000 per annum, plus a generous operating budget of AU$10,000 per annum
To be eligible to apply you must have (or expect to gain):
- first class honours or equivalent in a relevant research area;
- admission to an Australian University as a PhD candidate;
- a Research Training Program (RTP) scholarship or university equivalent; and
- an university supervisor who is willing and able to supervise you.
If you have already commenced your PhD studies, you must be less than 12 months into your PhD at 1 January 2020.
International applicants must have the appropriate immigration approvals to allow them to take up the scholarship.
Applications will be assessed on:
- Quality and relevance of student project: The primary assessment criterion for a CSIRO Postgraduate Top Up Scholarship is the quality and relevance of the project being proposed. The research must be aligned with the advertised priority research area.
- Academic calibre of the student: The quality of the student is also critical to the assessment of a scholarship and candidates must hold (or expect to gain) a relevant first class honours (or equivalent) degree from a recognised University.
- Availability of appropriate university supervision: The relevance of the University supervisor’s research background and their willingness to supervise the student in collaboration with the CSIRO supervisor should also be made clear.
How to apply:
You will be required to:
- submit a Resume/CV and Cover Letter (as one document) in the ‘Resume/CV’ field which includes:
- the reasons why the research project/s you have selected are of interest to you and how your skills/knowledge meet the project requirements;
- the names and contact details of two academic referees; and
- an outline of your longer-term career aspirations and how this program will help you achieve them.
- upload your academic results in the ‘Cover Letter’ field;
- in the ‘Education’ section, select your university from the Educational Institute list;
- in the ‘Job-Specific Information’ section, select your preferred research project/s in order of preference. You are not required to provide your Grade Point Average (GPA), please select ‘Not Applicable’.
If you experience difficulties applying online call 1300 984 220 and someone will be able to assist you. Outside business hours please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish. D&I Strategy
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
Applications close: Thursday 31 October 2019 (10.55pm AEDT)