- Support the delivery of complex and specialist machined parts.
- Assist in the development of CNC workflows.
- Join CSIRO - Australia's premier science & technology research organisation!
As the Mechanical Technician, you will work with science teams to develop tools to support a diverse range of research projects both in the laboratory and in the field. This support consists of the application of accepted technical practices and the development of new practices. You will be part of the Engineering and Technical Services (ETS) team based in Hobart. The team of 7 Mechanical Technicians provide engineering solutions to Oceans and Atmosphere (O&A) along with other groups both within and outside of CSIRO, including the Marine National Facility (RV Investigator) and the Integrated Marine Observing System.
Your duties will include
- Provide technical general engineering and CNC support through the ETS facility to research programs both within CSIRO and external clients.
- Develop original techniques, processes, equipment or software, especially when encountering new problems, where methods are not defined and initiative is required in seeking new approaches in support of existing and further research.
- Work alongside other O&A engineering teams to support the delivery of complex and specialist machined parts.
- Assist in the development of CNC workflows along with training other ETS staff in CNC operation.
Location: Hobart, Tasmania
Salary: CSOF4 AU$83K - AU$94K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be successful you will need
Under CSIRO policy only those who meet all essential selection criteria can be appointed.
- A relevant trade certificate in Fitting and Machining.
- Extensive experience as a full qualified Tradesperson in a relevant field.
- Substantial experience in at least 4 axis CNC milling and 2 axis Turning applications.
- Demonstrated experience in designing equipment and adapting techniques using CNC programming.
- Experience in 3D drawing packages along with CAD-CAM software.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view the Position Description.
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
23:59 AEST Sunday, 7th July, 2019.