Nestled between rolling country side and some of the best seaside locations NSW has to offer, the Bega Valley Shire offers abundance in the way of location and leisure. As the second largest employer in the shire, Bega Valley Shire Council currently employs around 400 staff in many professional, para-professional and vocational occupations. We provide an opportunity for you to add value to the community while providing a supportive work environment. Our PLaCE values reflect the great importance we place on quality leadership and operational practices.
Bega Valley Shire Council is seeking a Waste Management Professional to join our Assets and Operations team. The successful candidate will work closely with the Director and their teams to deliver effective Waste Management strategies for Council’s region.
The role will be required to deliver waste collection and transfer, waste processing (including beneficial re-use) and landfill functions for BVSC through internal and contracted resources. The role will also provide a key strategic role in ensuring Council’s future waste management needs are planned for, developed and implemented.
In this role, you have an opportunity to;
- Manage waste and recycling facilities, waste collections and programs.
- Coordinate budget development and control.
- Develop Waste Management strategies and policies.
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders and customers to deliver services, facilities and strategies.
To be successful in this role, you will need;
- A University Degree qualification or higher in an appropriate engineering discipline, environmental science, or related profession.
- Professional memberships to position-related industry associations.
- A current NSW Class C Drivers licence.
- Detailed knowledge of all aspects of solid waste collection, landfill, resource recovery and recycling systems.
- High-level skills in interpreting relevant legislation, regulations, specifications, policies and codes relating to waste and recycling programs and activities.
- Detailed knowledge and highly developed management skills including budgeting, procurement, project planning and the management of complex interrelated tasks.
- High level of applied management skills, including the ability to lead, direct and train staff.
- High level of written and verbal communication skills including the ability to consult, liaise, persuade, convince and negotiate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Five (5) years’ work experience in the waste management industry.
This is a permanent full-time position. The position will be required to work 35 hours per week. Remuneration has been established at a Grade 19 in BVSC’s salary system. This equates to $2140.00 (Step 1) rising to $2477.10 (Step 4) per week, plus 9.5 % employer superannuation contribution, as per the Local Government (State) Award 2017. A leaseback vehicle is available for this position.
For further information on the opportunities, please contact Anthony McMahon, Director Assets and Operations on (02) 6499 2245.
Applicants must have the right to work in Australia and address the advertised selection criteria demonstrating their suitability for the role. Applications close 29/3/2020 at 11:55pm.