Founded in 1865, with approximately 6,500 staff, more than $6 billion in fixed and other assets and more than 6,500 kilometres of track, Queensland Rail is dedicated to increasing rail patronage through improved reliability, frequency of services and making rail travel the transport mode of choice in Queensland. We are committed to building a better passenger business by connecting with customers, improving frontline services and facilitating Queensland’s growth and development. At Queensland Rail we believe safety comes first. Always.
We currently have an opportunity in our Design and Contracts Management group for a high calibre, experienced professional to lead and manage a team of technical and professional staff to support the delivery of the rollingstock and rail infrastructure programmes
This position will be responsible for the oversight of design management, contract management, preparation of contract documents and contract administration for a range of rollingstock and rail infrastructure contracts. Undertake the role of Superintendent or equivalent on selected contracts as requested by the Senior Manager, provide constructability advice to the project team and actively participate in the quality control of contract documentation and pre tender activities.
We are ideally looking for candidates who possess a strong background in design management and/or contract management, including solid understanding and experience with Australian standard contract types and fulfilling the role of 'Superintendent' (or equivalent) within rail or similar industry. Your astute commercial acumen combined with your outstanding stakeholder management and negotiation skills will be essential for you to succeed in this challenging position along with proven experience in the successful management of teams.
You will be managing multi-disciplinary teams including design managers, construction managers and site inspectors working across multiple projects. Demonstrated experience in leadership roles within a dynamic, changing and complex industrial and regulated environment will be highly regarded. Your ability to build and maintain collaborative and constructive relationships, develop and implement innovative processes and practices, influence change and drive performance will ensure your success in this role.
Key responsibilities for this role are (but not limited to):
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to a team of professionals that provide specialised design and contract management services to project teams
- Lead, develop and implement program level strategies, plans and policies that reflect industry best practice and generate value for money outcomes
- Develop, implement and monitor an effective resourcing strategy for the department to support the delivery of the program, including the engagement of external resources where required to support capacity and capability needs of the business unit
- Perform the duties of Superintendent (or Superintendents representative) on selected projects as required
- Ensure that contractors' safety and environmental systems and practices are in accordance with Queensland Rail's requirements.
- Provide advice to project delivery teams on the most appropriate procurement models and contract types, and liaise with legal, procurement, safety, environment, and other subject matter experts as required
- Provide guidance in the preparation of tendering and contract documentation and the quality review of these documents
- Implement measures to ensure that critical contractual KPI’s are being achieved.
- Ensure the Projects Delivery function prescribed governance, principles, business rules and practices are complied with by contract teams
To apply for this position you should have:
Qualifications in Engineering, Architecture or Construction Management will be highly regarded.
If you have a proven track record in the above criteria please apply to position number #70339 by clicking onto the "Apply" button. Please submit a resume and covering letter outlining your relevant skills, knowledge and experience by 5pm, Monday 25th September 2017.
Queensland Rail is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disabilities and people from non-English speaking backgrounds to apply for this position.
In addition to a generous superannuation scheme, Queensland Rail also offers free train travel to and from work on duty days and a healthy work/ life balance.
Queensland Rail may require the preferred candidate to undertake a medical assessment and an alcohol and other drug screen as part of the selection process.